Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 2002 08:32:29 -0500
From:      Chris BeHanna <chris@pennasoft.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: update strategies

On Friday 06 December 2002 00:44, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:

> I cvsup the source 3x/week via cron, ports slightly less often, and
> buildworld when I feel like it (which isn't TOO often) or when
> there's a security announcement made.

    Polite inquiry:  why are you cvsup'ing so often when you only
rebuild seldom?  You're generating extra load on the cvsup mirror that
you're using to no productive end.

> I'm looking into portupgrade to update ports, it seems like it's
> going to be cool!

    It is.  Once you have a populated /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf,
it can save you a lot of time.

    I'm still not willing to do "portupgrade -aF" nightly, but it
still saves me time.

--=20
Chris BeHanna                      http://www.pennasoft.com=20
Principal Consultant               =20