Date:      Wed, 08 Oct 1997 05:35:20 +0000
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Kris Kirby <kirbykb@airnet.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good nameserver system?

At 22:36 10/7/97 -0400, Kris Kirby wrote:
>What would be a good system for making a nameserver? I'm guessing P-200 or
>better and PPro-200. This would be a FreeBSD system, running named or a
>faster nameserver. And a 500M-2GB disk cache.

Here is where I get to be a bit philosophical. :)

FWIW....

I think a P-100 would run a good namserver. When "slow" computers aren't
running bloated OSes and multimedia ooh-ahhs they really kick butt.

I can't remember where I read (freebsd newsletter #1 I think) that Yahoo
ran their webserver on the measliest of machines for a period. I would
think serving up DNS resolves would be even less taxing.

I am guessing that a p200 could manage a name service for several ten
thousand DNS requests per day.

Mind you, I am just yakking. Search harder for someone who actually has run
a busy nameserver.

Later,
Jason Wells