Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 16:17:00 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Ivan Fetch <ivanfetch@technologist.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting a FreeBSD partition under Linux 2.2.13

On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 02:07:40PM -0700, Ivan Fetch wrote:

> It is necessary for me to mount a FreeBSD partition (wd1) under Linux
> (2.2.13 kernel) - I have loaded the ufs filesystem module, done:
> mount /dev/hdbX -t ufs /mnt
>
> Where x is various numbers from 1-4, with no success.  Mount acts like
> it mounted something, but /mnt is totally empty.
>
> How would I go about mounting, say, wd1s1c under /mnt?

The /dev/hdb[1-4] devices in Linux are the BSD "slices".  To get to the
labels, such as wd1s1c, you have to use a different device node.

The disklabels in Linux are presented as "logical partitions", i.e.
their names start with /dev/hdb5, etc.

Assuming that wd1 is the only disk with a FreeBSD slice on it, which
contains a label with a single "partition", the wd1s1c device, you can
find the proper BSD partition (not slice, mind you) at /dev/hda5.  So,
you should be able to mount it with:

	% mount -t ufs /dev/hda5 /mnt

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >