Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 17:19:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fortran in the base system (was Re: sysinstall)

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Jacques Vidrine wrote:

[I trimmed the cc list, it was covering the world anyways]

> On 16 December 1998 at 18:02, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> > I think that for a language to qualify,
>     [to be in the base FreeBSD distribution]
> > it must first be successful to
> > a degree several orders of magnitude greater than that of Haskell.  Or
> > any other functional programming language, for that matter.
> >
> > - Jordan
>
> I disagree strongly!  One could argue that Visual Basic and Java and
> what-have-you are quite ``successful,'' but that doesn't mean that any
> of them should be part of the base FreeBSD distribution.
>
> The only languages and tools that should be part of the base FreeBSD
> distribution, IMHO, are those required to build the system.

This kind of attitude, make things as minimal and difficult as possible,
is why Unix has such a reputation as the hardest OS on the block.

Seems to me kinda strange, all the guys who know perfectly well how to
trim things down to size, all want things to be done custom for them,
and to ignore the guys who are newbies.

OK, my own opinion (if it's not obvious) is that we need a middle ground
between making things too overly heavy, and trimming out so much
usefulness that no one except hardcore techies will give it a look.
I think, personally, that a gigantic super-package of various packages
(from ports) ought to be prepared, and that super-package offered as
another extension.  We could all argue what would go into it, but the
lamest newbie would bless us.  Man, what a super one-cdrom offering
that'd make!

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).