Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 10:13:01 +0200
From:      Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xmms do..do...doing hickups

On Friday 05 October 2001 21:49, Jason Andresen wrote:

> Unfortunatly, that can be caused by another PCI card on your system
> hogging
> the bus for some big transfer (like say pushing a great big screen
> update
> to your video card).  Hopefully this isn't your problem because the only
> way I know fix it is to replace the misbehaving card.

I don't like the sound of that. I've got 3 PCI-cards a SB PCI128 (ES1371),
G400 AGP and a 3com ethernetcard I got recommended.

And isn't it the job of the OS to allocate "bustime" and making sure that no
HW is hogging the bus?

But your reasoning sound logic though. The G400 is only 1x AGP and I'm
running at an resolution at 1600x1200-32 which would give something along the
lines of 7,3 MB/update. How often does X update? I guess it isn't doing it at
the pace of the screens refresh-rate (76Hz) which is kinda 2x the limit of
the AGP-port! ;)

Oh well, I've wanted to get my hands on a G450 and SB Live! for a while, so
this might be a nice excuse! ... unless the culprit is the networkcard.

Bjarne