Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:52:43 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org, committers@FreeBSD.org, dgl@bsdi.com, jim@cdrom.com, papowell@astart.com, wpaul@FreeBSD.org, ceren@magnesium.net, ryan@ryan.net, murray@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: The website

Nik,

Go For It!

I think our web-page is lying badly about the activity level in the
project.

A few comments:

   * All your suggestions sound great.

   * Database driven content is OK, as long as it is not the main page,
     currently our cvs-web and search engines work OK in the overall
     mirror strategy.

   * Other topic for dynamic content: supported hardware.

   * Other topic for dynamic content: I would like if cvsweb somehow
     could locate all files relevant to a specific commit, I know this
     is somewhat difficult but It would be nice anyway.

   * Other topic for dynamic content: HTML'ed page with the last 24h
     of commit logs, ie: pointers into cvsweb to see the diffs.

   * Other topic for dynamic content: A place to keep track of patchsets
     up for review, test and comment.  Ie: submitter provides patch and
     comments and a page is created, linked to from the patchindex and
     it is added to the "new or updated" patches.  submitter can update
     patch as it develops.  One way would be to define a convention like:
	$HOME/review/$patchname/{README,*}

I would LOVE to see the day when www.freebsd.org would be the first
page I turn to in the morning.

FreeBSD coreteam member | BSD since 4.3-tahoe