Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 17:47:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OK, Let's phrase it a different way...

> Going on what you said about going scsi - I recently saw an ad for a new
> portable tape drive called the eagle TR-4 ($399.00)  from Exabyte. The ad
> only mentions that TR-3 ($219.00) comes with a controller card but doesn't
> mention whether it's scsi or not. The only other scsi tape backups I've
> seen are in the $700 to $1000 dollar range which hurts alot more that
> trying to get a QIC 40/80 to work.

Corporate Systems Center sells a lot of past-generation devices still
new in the box, including tape drives.  A recent perusal of their tape
listing reveals:

    [http://www.corpsys.com/txt/NT.html]

P/N        Description                         Price 1  Price 10

AD1C         Archive  DDS-1 2/4GB DAT drive    449.00   429.00
             New, 90 day warranty

AD2C         Archive  DDS-2 4/8GB DAT drive    595.00   579.00
             New, 90 day warranty

CTM3200      Conner SCSI 4GB QIC-WIDE tape     139.00   119.00
             drive. New, 90 day warranty

CTM3200E     Conner SCSI 4GB QIC-WIDE Extrn    239.00   219.00
             New, 90 day warranty

CTM3200EXT   Conner SCSI 4GB QIC-Wide tape     199.00   179.00
             external New, 90 day warranty

Several of these should place a SCSI tape within your reach.  The
Conner CTM3200 are TR-3 drives, with a native capacity of 1.6G.
Note that DAT tapes are *much* cheaper than TR-3, if you use more
than a few tapes, DAT will cost less in the long run.