Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2007 00:52:54 -0500
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Joshua Lewis <joshua.lewis@familyfunzone.net>
Subject:   Re: Remove extra packages and streamline 6.2

On Saturday 20 January 2007 21:15, Joshua Lewis wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> After many days of hard work, a lot of caffeine and not nearly enough
> sleep I have a working asterisk PBX for my home.
>
> I have it working on a PIII 800 with 512MB of RAM and two 5GB drives
> in a Raid1 config. While this system should suffice I would like to
> streamline the system a little.
>
> I installed a lot of unnecessary applications during sysisntall. Is
> there a way to figure out what software I don't need. I did a
> pkg_info | wc -l and found that I have 63 apps installed. I know I
> don't need a bunch of these but I am afraid to delete random
> packages. After having a non working phone for two weeks my wife
> would kill me if I messed it all up again.
>
> Any ways I know I don't need xorg any more. I installed it so I could
> use gastman to try and get my Asterisk config working faster.  I
> never wound up using gastman so now I need to remove it and xorg. But
> there are a bunch of fonts and docs and things.
>
> Is it possible to remove any packages I have not used for X amount of
> days?
>
> Is there some way to figure out what apps I don't need installed
> anymore?

I'm a big fan of sysutils/pkg_cutleaves. It recurses through the dependency
tree of your installed ports and shows you the "leaf" nodes (packages that
nothing else depends on). You tell it which ones to get rid of and it
uninstalls them and repeats the process until no new leaf nodes are found.
I run it every couple months even on systems that don't necessarily need to
be streamlined just to keep from updating software I'm not using any more.

JN