Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:27:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marco Radzinschi <marco@radzinschi.com>
To:        Mike Loiterman <mike@ascendency.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Adding additional HD space

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Mike Loiterman wrote:

> > The 10 GB Hard Disk should have a "BIOS Limitation" jumper that
> > will make the BIOS think it is a 508 MB drive.  Set that jumper,
> > and the system should boot.
>
> I thought so too.  I tried setting it, but I couldn't get it to boot.
>  I guess the drive *could* be damaged, but I just pulled it out of a
> Windows box where it was working fine.  It still has XP on it.  Would
> that make a difference?  I never reformatted it after I pulled it
> out.

You might want to check the BIOS settings. Instead of having it
"autodetect" the hard disk, for example, set it to the highest that the
hard disk's documentation suggests.

> > Once you have that drive in there, you could create the file system
> > structure on it however you want, but place the / and /boot
> > partitions below 500 MB so that the system will boot when you take
> > out the old drive.
>
> Do you mean make the / and /boot partitions *less* then 500 MB or
> *below*.  If you mean below, I'm not sure how to do that.

Make the / and /boot partitions the first ones, and make them LESS than
500 MB, combined.  Technically, the / partition includes /boot, but so you
could get away with just making a / partition.  Also, the limit is 504 MB,
but I prefer to make / around 256 MB.

> > Note that you will have to tell fdisk the correct geometry of the
> > disk.
>
> I don't know how to do this or at least I don't remeber.

When you run fdisk, you can set the correct geometry.  If you are not
comfortable with fdisk, then you can just run /stand/sysinstall and do it
from there.  Sysinstall is the FreeBSD installer, and has a menu driven
partition feature. You can select it under "Configure," then "Fdisk" and
"Label" appropriately.

> > Otherwise, create the partitions exactly how you have them on your
> > 2 GB drive, making them larger as you wish, and dump + restore the
> > files from one disk to the other.
>
> When you say "dump + restore" you mean do a level 0 dump and then a
> restore?  Is that correct?

Dump level 0 is the correct one, but in your particular case, you may want
to use tar instead. It is up to you.

Marco Radzinschi

E-Mail: marco@radzinschi.com

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not
become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also
looks into you." -- Friedrich Nietzsche (Beyond Good and Evil)