Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 05:01:19 -0400
From:      Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   using User ppp with PAP

Hi again,

        I have questions regarding user ppp.  I checked in the handbook, but
I couldn't find any info
on how to log into a service provider which uses password authentication
protocol (PAP).  My service
provider says that a script is not necessary; the PAP takes care of
everything.  Any suggestions on how
to handle the ppp.linkup & ppp.conf files when using PAP would be appreciated.

        Also, was kind of vague on how to set-up the /etc/hosts file when
using dynamically allocated IP.  The handbook says to configure the machine
like this with static IP:

10.0.0.1     foo.bar.com               foo

where foo.bar.com is the machine name.  In the case of dynamice IP, there
would be no way of knowing
what address to put in place of '10.0.0.1'.  I'm guessing that maybe the
service provider's IP itself, or a 'dummy' address in the case of dynamic IP.

        My service provider uses a dynamically allocated gateway IP address.
Does this require special
handling?

        Finally, how to set up ppp.secret.  I know this is where the
password goes for the pmdemand, and
there is a ppp.secret.sample, but didn't quite know which IP address to put
there.  I think it had a line like
10.0.0.1/23 - was confused by the addition of the / followed by the
two-digit number.  Is it possible to
use an encryption program to put a 'crypt'ed password in there?