Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 12:35:53 -0500
From:      Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
To:        des@flood.ping.uio.no
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern.securelevel and X

On 18 Oct 1999 18:30:20 +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no> wrote:
> Why are you so obsessed with jail(2)? There is no reason for this to
> be jail(2)-specific. As I told you on IRC:
>
> 03:21 #bsdcode       Nectar> DES: securelevel == systemwide,  jail == process based
> 03:22 #bsdcode    ---------> nectar: no, you're not ambitious enough 8)

I suppose that is fair: you misunderstood my remark, and I didn't get
yours (I thought you were being sarcastic).

What I was trying to indicate is that one facet of jail is analogous
to securelevel (both limit the operations available to even the
superuser).  Both securelevel and that particular facet of jail
should, IMHO, share a common implementation.

Just so you don't accuse me of obsessing again :-) let me explain
further.  The jail system call as it exists in -CURRENT actually
does three different things: it calls chroot, it restricts TCP/IP
IPC, and it restricts certain operations.   These three things
don't necessarily belong together.  It is the last aspect that I
am comparing to securelevel, and that I've been talking about.

Excuse me for using an existing system call as a reference point :-P

I pretty much agree with the rest of your message.

Off to see Markm talk about FreeBSD security. :-)

Later,

Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / nectar@FreeBSD.org