Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 08:03:44 +0200
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: perhaps found the error.... please read...

At 11.55 19/06/97 +0930, you wrote:

>Again, your build failure is because your system is hosed.

Mike , I am not a programmer at all and so for me is very difficult to find
and to understand where and why a make fails...
The only thing I can say you is I only applied the ctm files everytime they
arrive....
I never changed the /sys symlink so why it points in the wrong dir ??

>> Is it a faulty path ?
>> Am I the only person who receive this error ???
>
>Yes, you are.  Go to /usr/include.  Look at the "sys" symlink.

It is only an empty dir not a symlink to anything.....

> Then
> look at the "/sys" symlink.  Then _fix_it_ and stop pestering us.  Please?

I presume I must symlink the /sys to /usr/src/sys/sys but the make symlink
to /usr/src/sys again.... Please tell me the fix I have to do , not that I
must fix and nothing else... :-)

 Making hierarchy
cd /usr/src && make hierarchy
cd /usr/src/etc &&              make distrib-dirs
mtree -deU -f /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.root.dist -p /
mtree -deU -f /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.var.dist -p /var
if [ -d /usr/share/locale ] ;    then  cd /usr/share/locale;     for l in
da_DK
de_AT de_CH de_DE en_AU en_CA en_GB en_US es_ES fi_FI  fr_BE fr_CA fr_CH
fr_FR i
s_IS it_CH it_IT nl_BE nl_NL no_NO  pt_PT sv_SE ; do  if [ -h $l.ISO_8859-1
]; t
hen  rm $l.ISO_8859-1;  fi ;  done;  fi
mtree -deU -f /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.usr.dist -p /usr
mtree -deU -f /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.include.dist  -p /usr/include
cd /; rm -f /sys; ln -s usr/src/sys sys
[...]
here it happens , I presume....
and then process fail with the same error ...

Ok, I am going to rm -r /usr/src and apply the ctm from the scratch, but if
it fails again I presume it is a bug of some makefile ....

Thanks again for your patience....

Regards...
Gianmarco
"Unix expert since yesterday"