Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:07:05 +0100
From:      des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: The future of X?

Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr> writes:
> Well, I don't know about slow, but I like those blurry drop-shadows :-)

Drop shadows on menus are wrong.  The menu is attached to the menu
bar, which is in the plane of the application window, so it cannot
possibly be floating a quarter-inch in front of and paralell to the
application window as the shadow suggests.

Drop shadows on regular windows are hardly any better.  First, it
raises the question of what plane the mouse pointer moves in; either
the mouse pointer should cast a shadow, or the system should allow me
to control its position in the Z axis, allowing me to move it between
overlapping windows, etc.  Second, the screenshots show windows
casting shadows of equal width on other windows despite differences in
conceptual depth.  If window A is a quarter-inch in front of window B,
and window B is a quarter-inch in front of window C, there should be a
discernible difference in the shadows window A cast on windows B and
C, and areas in which both A and B cast a shadow on C should be darker
than areas in which only one of them casts a shadow.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no