Date:      Thu, 9 May 1996 11:30:28 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        b.j.smith@ieee.org
Cc:        mcvickhd@audlan.state.in.us, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: UNIX System

Bryan J. Smith, E.I. stands accused of saying:

> Are you going to access the partitions via NFS on the 9000, or by
> other means?

*chuckle*.  "Partition" is a VM term; you can run several operating
systems on a VM system at the same time - in this case, they're
talking about bringing AIX up in a partition.

> -- BITMAN EI
>

> > Date:          Wed, 8 May 1996 13:37:34 -0500
> > From:          mcvickhd@audlan.state.in.us (HUGH MCVICKER)
> > Subject:       Re[2]: UNIX System
> > To:            "Bryan J. Smith; E.I." <b.j.smith@ieee.org>
>

> >      Thank you for the prompt response to my question about FreeBSD being
> >      UNIX.  We have an IBM ES9000 mainframe that has the capability to
> >      bring up a UNIX partition.  I'm looking for a UNIX system to place on
> >      the PCs of my application programmers so that they can gain some
> >      experience and education with UNIX before we bring up the partition.
> >      Thanks for your input.

Hmm.  AIX is a bit weird, so you may have some secondary transition
problems, but FreeBSD is definitely a good choice for this.  There
are probably some people on the -questions list with "some" IBM
mainframe experience that may be able to help your people adjust.

Definitely, feel free to point your people at the list as a reference.