Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 21:04:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Subject:   netbooting 3000/400

I know that this is sort-of a known problem, but I hope to find people
with strong memories to help me ;-)

Situation: DEC3000/400 "Sandpiper" doing a BOOTP netboot:

>>> boot ez0
INIT-S-CPU...
INIT-S-RESET_TC...
INIT-S-ASIC...
INIT-S-MEM...
INIT-S-NVR...
INIT-S-SCC...
INIT-S-NI...
INIT-S-SCSI...
INIT-S-ISDN...
INIT-S-TC1...
AUDIT_BOOT_STARTS ...
AUDIT_BOOT_REQ
Host server IP address is 192.168.200.1
AUDIT_BSERVER_FOUND
AUDIT_LOAD_BEGINS

AUDIT_LOAD_DONE
Console: SRM firmware console
VMS PAL rev: 0x100010530
OSF PAL rev: 0x20123
Switch to OSF PAL code succeeded.

FreeBSD/alpha SRM net boot, Revision 0.1
(root@alpine.iaf.nl, Mon Jul 12 05:13:52 CEST 1999)
Memory: 65536 k
netbbinfo valid: force = 0, ea = 08:00:2b:3c:61:45
boot: boot device name does not contain ethernet address.
boot: using hard-coded ethernet address.
boot: ethernet address: 08:00:2b:3c:61:45
prom_init: open failed: 7

Boot device name was: "BOOTP 0 7 0 0 0 2 CORE-IO"

Your firmware may be too old to network-boot NetBSD/Alpha,
or you might have to hard-code an ethernet address into
your network boot block with setnetbootinfo(8).

?05 HLT INSTR
  PC= 00000000.2000003C PSL= 00000000.00000007

The first thing I had to do is port (well, quick hack) NetBSD's setnetbootinfo
for use on FreeBSD as it is missing from the source tree. This was needed
because the Sandpiper's SRM did not send the MAC address as part of the
boot device name. But a hardcoded MAC address did not solve the issue,
the boot device name string returned "BOOTP 0 7 0 0 0 2 CORE-IO"
is one field short from what netboot expects. The last field is the device
to boot from. I *guess* it needs to be EZ0 but I could be wrong.

As for a different SRM version: the latest (V7.0) is not doing BOOTP
correctly at all so it looks that one is out.

Are there people on this list that have successfully booted a DEC3000 using
netboot? If so, which SRM version did you use (assuming there is a working
one, which I doubt) or did you hack netboot to make this happen?

Wilko