Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 23:10:59 -0400
From:      Brian Freeman <bef126@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mixer support

I cannot get mixer support on my system (2.2.7 with sound blaster).  I have gone
through countless mail postings on setting up sound support and every single
one gives the same instructions which I have done several times.  I've included
the devices and controllers in my kernel and made /dev/snd0

However, for some reason, when I type:
/dev/MAKEDEV snd0
I get no mixer device in /dev.  I get no snd0 or mixer device in /dev.
However I do get about 10 extra files in the /root directory with names like
mixer, sequencer, music, midi, sndstat, etc..
Shouldn't these files be in the /dev dirrectory.  Why do they appear in my
/root dirrectory?  When I try to run them I get permission
denied (even as root after I did a chmod 777)  Am I doing something wrong?