Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:22:18 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: filling up UDP socket buffers like mad

Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 06:03:47PM -0500, Charles Swiger wrote:
[ ... ]
> udp4   43414      0  *.514                  *.*
> udp4       0      0  *.49661                *.*
>
> We have no firewall on this machine; it's buried behind three layers
> of firewall.

Heh.  :-)  Well, it's pretty clear that the syslog traffic isn't being drained
by the syslog daemon properly.  I've seen syslogd get stuck like that if it was
forwarding logs to another host specified by name and not IP, and it was having
problems resolving it.

[ I've got a MacOS X 10.2(.9?) machine where syslogd is frozen upon boot now due
to using a non-local hostname to forward one specific type of traffic elsewhere,
so I have to kill -9 it and restart it by hand once the resolver has gotten
going, if I reboot that machine. ]

--
-Chuck