Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:54:39 -0700
From:      Jason DiCioccio <geniusj@bluenugget.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   [openssh-unix-announce] Re: Upcoming OpenSSH vulnerability (fwd)

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Monday, June 24, 2002 11:06 PM +0200
From: Markus Friedl <markus@openbsd.org>
To: openssh-unix-announce@mindrot.org, openssh-unix-dev@mindrot.org
Subject: [openssh-unix-announce] Re: Upcoming OpenSSH vulnerability

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 03:00:10PM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 15:00:10 -0600
> From: Theo de Raadt <deraadt@cvs.openbsd.org>
> Subject: Upcoming OpenSSH vulnerability
> To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com
> Cc: announce@openbsd.org
> Cc: dsi@iss.net
> Cc: misc@openbsd.org
>
> There is an upcoming OpenSSH vulnerability that we're working on with
> ISS.  Details will be published early next week.
>
> However, I can say that when OpenSSH's sshd(8) is running with priv
> seperation, the bug cannot be exploited.
>
> OpenSSH 3.3p was released a few days ago, with various improvements
> but in particular, it significantly improves the Linux and Solaris
> support for priv sep.  However, it is not yet perfect.  Compression is
> disabled on some systems, and the many varieties of PAM are causing
> major headaches.
>
> However, everyone should update to OpenSSH 3.3 immediately, and enable
> priv seperation in their ssh daemons, by setting this in your
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config file:

[...]
> OpenBSD and NetBSD users should also update to OpenSSH 3.3 right away.
> On OpenBSD privsep works flawlessly, and I have reports that is also
> true on NetBSD.  All other systems appear to have minor or major
> weaknesses when this code is running.

I know theo did not mention FreeBSD, but does anyone know for sure if
FreeBSD is one of the platforms with major/minor weaknesses in the privsep
code?  And if it is major, or minor? ;-)

Cheers,
-JD-

--
Jason DiCioccio     - jd@bluenugget.net  - Useless .sig
Open Domain Service - geniusj@ods.org    - http://www.ods.org/

PGP Fingerprint - C442 04E2 26B0 3809 8357  96AB D350 9596 0436 7C08