Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 21:58:34 -0700
From:      "Joe Parks" <pleaseworky@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   vmware guest networking not working - details

FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE.  Vmware is running correctly, and I have successfully
loaded windows98 into a virtual machine with no problems.
When I loaded vmware from the port, it asked me what kind of networking I
wanted, and I chose 'bridging'.  I think.

Anyway, in my windows98 VM configuration, I see 'Ethernet Adaptors' which
expands into a three choice list, the first being 'host only' and the other
two being not-available greyed out selections.  Further, on the right hand
side of the screen when I select 'host only' everything is greyed out.  So
basically I have no options to choose in my win98 VM ethernet adaptor
configuration.

The win98 VM has the 'AMD PCNET Family Ethernet Adator' installed (is this
some generic adaptor that vmware passes to win98?  I don't have any hardware

      like that..), and as far as win98 is concerned, it works.  I gave
win98 the
                IP address 10.20.30.100, and it can ping _itself_.

My /usr/local/etc/vmware/config file says:

(lines pertaining to paths omitted)
vmnet1.HostOnlyAddress = "10.20.30.1"
vmnet1.HostOnlyNetmask = "255.255.255.0"

I added these lines to /etc/rc.conf:

gateway_enable="YES"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="ep0"

The freeBSD machine can successfully ping the vmnet1 interface.

The win98 machine _cannot_ ping the vmnet1 interface.

The win98 machine does not seem to be on the network in any fashion.

Any help getting the win98 machine to talk to the freeBSD host it is on (so
I can set up nat and get win98 browsing the web, etc.) is appreciated.

thanks!