Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:52:33 +0400
From:      Dmitry Sivachenko <demon@freebsd.org>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <nick@garage.freebsd.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jailed sysvipc implementation.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 04:48:49PM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 06:05:18PM +0400, Dmitry Sivachenko wrote:
> +> > > Some time ago I've implemented private memory zones for IPC mechism.
> +> > > Every jail and main host got its own memory for IPC operations.
> +> > > It was implemented for FreeBSD 4.x. Avaliable at:
> +> > >
> +> > > 	http://garage.freebsd.pl/privipc.tbz
> +> > > 	http://garage.freebsd.pl/privipc.README
> +> >
> +> > I think it would be better to add checks to disallow the use of IPC
> +> > primitives created in one jail from another.
> +> > Thus we will avoid allocating separate segments of kernel memory for
> +> > each jail.
> +> >
> +> > It could be trivially achieved by adding another field to struct ipc_perm,
> +> > but Robert Watson said he knows another way of doing this without
> +> > breaking ABI (if I understood him right).
> +> >
> +>
> +> Please look at his patch:
> +>
> +> http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/mac_sysvipc.diff
> +>
> +> It does slightly different things, but we could borrow from it.
>
> But you got still *one* memory zones for every jail and main host.

Yes, that is exactly what I want.
This is similar to separate IP stack for each jail:  this is more powerful
solution, but more expensive (uses more kernel memory).

Jail is not a true virtual machine.
Let's keep it a *light* virtual machine replacement, with single IP stack,
one memory zones for all jails and host, etc.

> And I want to separate them.

Then you should join Marco Zec and contribute to his project.
Jail will hardly become a true virtual machine.