Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2013 16:23:09 +0400 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /tmp: change default to mdmfs and/or tmpfs?

On Sun, 9 Jun 2013, Ronald Klop wrote:

> > what do you think about stop using precious disk or even SSD resources for
> > /tmp?
> >
> > For last several (well, maybe over 10?) years I constantly use md
> > (swap-backed)
> > for /tmp, usually 128M in size, which is enough for most of our server
> > needs.
> > Some require more, but none more than 512M.  Regarding the options, we use
> > tmpmfs_flags="-S -n -o async -b 4096 -f 512"
> >
> > Given more and more fixes/improvements committed to tmpfs, switching /tmp to
> > it
> > would be even better idea.
> >
> > You thoughts?  Thank you!
> >

> What keeps you from putting this in fstab and stop using the tmpmfs rc.conf
> variable?
> 'tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs   rw,size=536870912      0       0'
>
> I thought tmpmfs/varmfs infrastructure was more for diskless/full-NFS systems
> anyways.

I do not see much difference here, to be honest.  Either way, you have
memory-backed /tmp (though via using /etc/rc.d/tmp you can fine-tune FS options
a bit easier, at least for my PoV)

The question is: shouldn't we treat this as a default at least for usual
amd64/i386 installation with "non-embedded" quantity of RAM (like, e.g. >
512M)?

--
Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck@FreeBSD.org ]