Date:      9 Jul 1996 21:45:07 -0500
From:      "Richard Wackerbarth" <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Anil John" <ajohn@cyberforge.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD Questions'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 2.1R-->2.1.5R Using SUP. Possible?

Anil John writes:
> I am currently running 2.1.0 Release and would like to upgrade to the 2.1.5
> Release when it comes out.  Is it possible to do this using SUP?
[snip]
> Also how long does it usually take to download these binaries using a 28.8

If you obtain the source for the -stable branch, you will have to compile the
entire system (aka make world) as well as the kernel. If, instead, you wish to
do an installation, you will need to download the tarballs, either apriori or
while online. With the slow link, I'm not sure that you will be able to do the
install online within your time limit.

If you choose to go the source route, remember that the source is at least
28Meg COMPRESSED. However, if you use either sup or ctm, you can start
accumulating the source. The changes that happen from today's source to the
release source will not be extensive.

If you have the 2.1.0 release CD, you might consider ctm rather than sup. By
using ctm and the cd, you can eliminate perhaps 15Meg or more of download.
--
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net