Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:54:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        blk@skynet.be (Brad Knowles)
Cc:        freebsd.stable@lists.craxx.nl, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird NSLOOKUP output...

As I recall, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	I believe that dig & host both call the standard gethostbyname
> routines, and therefore act in exactly the same way that a "normal"
> program would, whereas nslookup would bypass any sort of service
> switch you might have and instead go directly to the DNS.

No.  All three (dig, host and nslookup) use the resolver directly.
I believe dig and host do call gethostbyname, but only when looking
up the nameserver they're to use.

You can prove it to yourself.  Make an entry for a bogus host in
/etc/hosts and then try to look it up.

> It is my understanding that this is one of many reasons why nslookup
> is so hated.

Hated?  Hmm...  I kinda like it.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net