Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 1995 22:54:44 EST
From:      Francisco Reyes <freyes@i-2000.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Paths vs program execution

I created a small c program and placed it on $HOME/bin since this
was on the path. When I ran the program from $HOME the
program did nothing. If I change to the same directory where the
program is then it works (I don't remember, but I think I had to
use ./ to run it also).

Are there any drawbacks to adding . (current directory) to the
path? I understand how path works (from using DOS), but I
wonder why the current directory is not part of the path as it is
standardly configured.