Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 2000 08:48:22 -0400
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/VMWare setup for dummies?

On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 01:46:35AM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:

> > 2. Create new dummy configuration, without any hardware, and try it. It
> > useless, but at least you should see a Phoenix BIOS logo.
> >

> OK, I tried and it just rebooted again. This is the config file I was
> using:
>
> Is the win95.nvram file supposed to exist? I haven't got one on my
> system/
No, it's just a place in which nvram will be stored latter.

> > If it doesn't help, that means you are have incompatible hardware
> > (never heard before about that).
>
> It's a K6-233 (original K6, not a -2 or -3)
I don't know. I personally don't have experience with new AMD's processors.
Try to update BIOS on motherboard to latest one, and try to compile
kernel without k6_mem.c file (just change it to dummy one with zero length).

If you have another computer nearby, please use or external XServer or
configure you FreeBSD box to use serial console. Purpose of that to know
what exactly panic occurred (because when you are starting vmware, most likely ,
panic occurred, and it showing some information on your console, but
you not able to seen that information, because you are in graphic mode).

--
Regards,
Vladimir