Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 2002 06:57:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jon <cykyc@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:    /etc/termcap, /etc/termcap.small, single-user mode, and a learning experience

Hello all,

FreeBSD: recently updated 4.7 -Stable, built 2002/12/3.

Some questions:

Why is /etc/termcap linked to /usr/share/misc/termcap?

Why does /etc/termcap.small exist, but not included in
/usr/src/etc/Makefile nor /usr/src/share/termcap/Makefile?

What is the best way to mess with disklabels while in single-user
mode w/ a read-only /, and /usr is on a diff. slice?

----------
After shooting myself in the foot and having to go into single-user
mode, I noticed that /etc/termcap is symlinked to
/usr/share/misc/termcap.  In the CVS tree, though, I noticed an
entry of /etc/termcap.small, but did not see it installed on my
system, outside of my cvsup'd src tree.  It didn't appear in my
/var/tmp/temproot tree, either, since the /usr/src/etc/Makefile
($FreeBSD: src/etc/Makefile,v 1.219.2.36) doesn't include it as a
target (neither does v 1.298 or /usr/src/share/termcap/Makefile

Hmm... GNATS does have a PR that matches this: misc/35145.

Okay, now that all makes sense.  Why does /etc/termcap.small exist,
but yet it's not included in the Makefile?  My problem is from
being in single-user mode after doing bad things to my disk labels.
I couldn't use disklabel(8), since /usr was on a different slice (I
was interactively editing versus passing a file).  My default
editor, vi, resides on /usr/bin, which upset disklabel (is /bin/ed
the only line editor in /bin or /sbin?), so I attempted to use
/stand/sysinstall.  Sysinstall complained heavily about no termcap
entry for cons25.  Since / was mounted read-only (I screwed things
up and didn't want to mount in read-write), and my brain was
slowing down, I didn't think to create a memory-disk and write a
termcap file w/ the needed entries.  Thinking back, all this seems
a bunch of work, and /etc/termcap.small would have been much
appreciated :-)

Okay, outside of the /etc/termcap & /etc/termcap.small issue, what
else could I have done in single-user mode that I didn't attempt
above?  I did attempt to set TERM to dumb, but /stand/sysinstall
didn't like that, either (Error opening terminal: dumb.)

TIA,

Jon