Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:32:45 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Tim Smith <tsmith@apptechnc.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: update all installed ports

--==_Exmh_54293695P

If memory serves me right, Tim Smith wrote:
> Hi.  I've read the handbook and the porter's handbook, and have
> looked at /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.*, but still haven't found an
> answer to my question.
>
> Is it possible, with a simple command or script, to update all
> of the ports I have installed at once?  I mean, I want to make
> sure that all of the ports that I use are the latest version,
> but I don't want to install ports that I don't use.

The short answer is:  No, there isn't a way, and even if there was, you
wouldn't want to do it.  Remember, "newer isn't always better".

> If anyone has a good way of doing this automatically, please let
> me know.  (I'm using -STABLE, if that matters.)

"pkg_version -v" will help you figure out what's newer.

"pkg_version -c" will generate some scripting stuff that will help you
do some of the upgrading (but remember to RTFM to see all the
caveats).

Look at the archives for the -ports list to see many messages
discussing this problem.  :-p

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_54293695P