Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 06:06:18 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG, jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za
Subject:   Re: ftp-master slow or busy?

> > Is ftp-master very busy or is there some kind of congestion on the links
> > close to it? Update speeds seems very slow lately. Mostly it has been
> > 20kByte/s or slower. A while back I got up to 100k, which is pretty good
> > for something from down here in South Africa. Although at that stage I
> > was still using rsync and now I'm using cvsup. Can it be that cvsup is
> > more sensitive to the long delays?
>
> Yes, CVSup probably does have a problem with long fat pipes.  In
> multiplexed mode (the default), the receive buffers are of fixed size
> and are probably not big enough to accomodate fast links with high
> latencies.

Hey this isn't a fast link. :-) We only have a 2Mbit link, so even if
I could convince the rest of the CSIR to do nothing, I could only hope
to do 256kByte/s. :-) I wouldn't have thought that fast in US terms. But
then they do not have the delay. :-/

> I'd suggest trying passive mode with "-P -" on the cvsup
> command line.  This may solve your problem, or at least help.  If it
> doesn't, then it might also be necessary to hack the code to increase
> the socket buffer sizes.  Unfortunately, that would have to be done on
> the server side as well.

Does anyone know if ftp-master allow passive cvsup connections? I tried
it, but cvsup just says this:

Connected to ftp-master
Falling back to protocol version 16.1
Cannot connect to data port: Connection refused
Will retry at 05:59:18

Looking with netstat -a I see the second connection just stay in SYN_SENT
state.

Hmmm. Maybe I should go back to rsync at least for the packages. Would
anybody mind if I run a cvsup and rsync simultaneously or do I have make
sure I lockf them on the same file?

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay@FreeBSD.org