Date:      Sat, 9 May 1998 10:26:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        steve@visint.co.uk (Stephen Roome)
Cc:        dg@root.com, dan@dna.rockefeller.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel Etherexpress PRO/100+ PCI

> On Fri, 8 May 1998, David Greenman wrote:
> >    A couple of questions: Which version of FreeBSD is running on those
> > machines? Are you sure that the cards are Pro/100+'s and not Pro/100B's?
> > They look very similar, except the 100B has an extra chip. Are you using
> > the cards in 10Mbps mode or 100Mbps mode? Are they connected to a hub or
> > a switch?
>
> (If you search the questions list archive with "Roome AND Greenman AND
> Intel" you might remember the original question, but that's not important
> anymore)
>
> I originally bought Pro/100B rev 1 cards, which had some problems with
> coping with extraneous network junk packets, (you menioned that this could
> be a bug in the early 82557's). The symptom was that the card would cease
> responding to the network, effectively the same as unplugging the lead.

[ ... machine #1 ... ]

> fxp0: <Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet> rev 0x04 int a irq 18 on
> ahc0: <Adaptec aic7880 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0x00 int a irq 19 on
> SMP: All 2 CPU's are online!

[ ... machine #1 ... ]

> fxp0 <Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet> rev 4 int a irq 15 on
> ahc0 <Adaptec aic7880 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0 int a irq 11 on
> stray irq 7
> stray irq 7
> stray irq 7
> too many stray irq 7's; not logging any more

The first machine is SMP.  Does the problem happen if you run a UP kernel?

The second machine has a noise generator on the bus.  You need to locate
it.  It may be a sound card without a driver byt with an open source.

I also notice that the interrupt is a shared PCI interrupt in both cases.

You should try to do something about this for performance reasons as well,
but this *may* be where the problem is lurking.  At the very least, it's
a suspicious "coincidence".

Hope this helps...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org