Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 14:30:40 -0700
From:      Jamie Lawrence <jal@ThirdAge.com>
To:        <kip@lyris.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using Oracle

At 02:06 PM 5/28/99 -0700, kip@lyris.com wrote:
>How fast is that compared with using Oracle's native library API? I assume
>it isn't possible to port their access library to FreeBSD? How well would
>their Linux access library work on FreeBSD?
>					-Kip

I haven't done any speed comparisons, personally. It
seems fine to me, for things like data loads and
random queries and whatnot. You have to be careful
about setting up and tearing connections and such
in a loop - that'll slow you down immensely, and
sometimes seems like the natural thing to do.

Another option, of course, it to run Oracle under
FreeBSD (instructions for doing so have been posted
a bunch of times) and run sqlplus or whatever you like.

-j