Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 1997 01:00:28 +0300
From:      Antti-Pekka Liedes <apl@mail.cs.hut.fi>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        randyd <randyd@nconnect.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: serious instability with -current kernel

On Tue, Sep 02, 1997 at 03:51:33PM -0600, Steve Passe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Thanks, removing the screen saver solved my problem.  I had made world
> > pretty recently, but obviously there was still something out of sync.
>
> Obviously, it would be nice to know the exact nature of the problem.  Since
> UP doesn't show the same problems its probably not a simple sync problem.
>
> Is the UP kernel you successfully tested with as new as the SMP kernel
> that fails?
>
> If not, could you build one with the same sources as the failing SMP kernel
> and see if the screensaver lkm then causes it to fail?

I have UP and SMP kernels build from the very same sources, no other
difference but UP has all the SMP-options disabled.  When I used the SMP
kernel with screensaver lkm loaded, it crashed within about five minutes
from booting, usually in about two.  With UP kernel I didn't have any
problems for half an hour, with screensaver loaded.  Right now I'm
succesfully running SMP kernel without any lkms loaded.

And all kernels mentioned are from very fresh sources, cvsup'd a few hours
ago.

--
Antti-Pekka Liedes  *        apl@IRC            *  In two hells there's
JMT 6 B 406         *       apl@iki.fi          *  one hell too many