Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 12:44:38 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        "Kirk R. Wythers" <kwythers@forestry.umn.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: trouble installing onto two drives

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:21:46PM -0600, Kirk R. Wythers wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for the assistance with userconfig. Now I am stuck
> trying to get both scsi discs partitioned (sliced). When I'm at the
> screen to select which disc to do the install on I can select disc 0,
> partition it the way I want, mark it bootable, but then I can't figure
> out how to go back and select disc 1, so that I can partition it and put
> a second swap slice and /home on it.

I wouldn't worry about this. If /, /usr, and /var are all on drive 0,
go ahead with the install. You can deal with the other drive later.

> FDisk seems to want to only deal with one disc at a time. I think the
> problem is that FDisk is not returning to the "select drives" screen
> after I slice up and name mount points of the first drive.

Your configuration really isn't a problem, but I believe sysinstall(8)
would fall short if you wanted to put different parts of the base
system on different drives (say / and /usr on one and /var on
another). For a more complex, "unsupported install" like that, you
would have to install on one disk and then reconfigure things once you
have an installed system.