Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:51:32 -0700
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        matt@genesi-usa.com
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.0 on Pegasos/ODW

Hi Matt,

> Why isn't there an ISA bus attachment?

  For the same reason there isn't an SBus attachment in the i386 kernel :)

  There is no ISA hardware on Macs so no need for an ISA bus in the
current code.

> We have an ISA bus on the Pegasos (Via 8231 southbridge)

  OK, support for that has to be added.

> In all honesty the design of the system should be that while it there is
> some grunt work required, it is much the same as in Linux - when the driver
> doesn't exist on PPC you just symlink it from the i386 tree since all of
> the hardware already works in FreeBSD on a PC. I used to run FreeBSD 5.1 on
> a Via EPIA board, it had the exact same southbridge and peripheral chips
> and ran like a dream. Endianness notwithstanding it should be the same
> way.

  It is like that, and as mentioned previously, some grunt work is
required, such as adding ISA bus support and the necessary bus-space
work for i/o access. Sparc64 has ISA support as a proof-of-concept.

later,

Peter.