Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 16:38:10 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey S. Sharp" <jss@subatomix.com>
To:        <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>, "Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, "Adrian Steinmann" <ast@marabu.ch>
Subject:   Re: Mounting and Corruption Rehashed

> When you remount / rread-write to update, just reboot and get on
> with it (remounting ro works, but can we trust it?).

I've done a similar hack by hand and it worked well.  However, problems
arise when changes have to be made often or when uptime requirements
prohibit rebooting unless direly urgent.

I have another possible solution to the flash problem:  Use two
partitions: one for /, kernel, and other static files that stays ro
unless you are upgrading, and another for dynamic files that gets
switched ro<-->rw.  To detect any corruption, compare before-and-after
checksums on the dynamic files.  If corruption is detected, the
partition can get newfs'ed, etc., and the have its files restored from
somewhere else (a backup partition, maybe).  Also, If you've got some
custom application running, it might be prudent for it to keep its
writes down by buffering data as long as possible.

Or, someone could fix mount... [hint]

Jeffrey S. Sharp   (XorAxAx)
jss@subatomix.com