Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 12:28:47 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   if you want something, do it yourself

Over the past few months, I've been watching more and more threads go by
where people want FreeBSD to go this way or include these features.  Or
we're not doing it right.  We have to do it this way.  We need this in
order to do that.

It reminds me of the politics within a large commercial organisation with
people protecting their turf, the status quo, and watching their ass.  But
nobody actually going out and doing something.  They are just trying to
stop others from impinging upon their territory.  Such tactics not very
beneficial to the group.

That really isn't what the FreeBSD project is about, IMHO.  If I see it
correctly, something gets written because it is useful to someone.
Perhaps just one person.  They write it because they want to.  Not because
they think it will improve FreeBSD.  Or make FreeBSD more popular than
Linux.  Or put one more nail in the MS coffin.  They do it because *they*
want to do it.

This situation is vastly different from the commercial world where someone
up the chain of command decides that we must do X and then those below do
what they can to get X implemented.  In such an environment, people
generally do the work because they get paid to do it.  If you are lucky,
you also enjoy your work but most people don't often get the luxury of
deciding what they will do at their job.  [please no counter-examples]

The same analogy applies to FreeBSD project work.  I had wanted to use
someone else as an example, but I felt that was unfair.  So I'll use
myself.  The articles which I write are of concern to me.  I assume they
will also be of interest to others.  For the most part, people appreciate
having the articles online.  They say they benefit from it.  That's great.
 It's part of my contribution.  A few people complain about things which
are not the way they want them to be.  Well, I'm sorry, but in a perfect
world, we'd have everything we want.  I do what I do because I like doing
it.  Anything which involves unpaid volunteers is like that.  The work is
done because it is interesting work.  The volunteer gets something out of
it.  That's the prime motivation.

We are each an individual.  We do something not because someone else wants
it done, but because we want it done.  That's the way the project works.
If someone wants the project to head in a different direction, they should
start heading in that direction.  Perhaps someone will follow.  Perhaps
not.  But you are the person to make that path decision.  Nobody else.

Stand up, declare what you want to do and ask for volunteers to help you.

But saying that you want someone to do it for you isn't the way.  If you
want something done, do it yourself.
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.FreeBSDDiary.org/freebsd/