Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:18:56 -0500
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portsnap

On Tuesday 19 June 2007 11:00:15 [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> tradigan@newrevolutions.net wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have just started using portsnap and I must say that I like it.. With
> > that said, I am noticing something here that maybe a configuration issue
> > on my end, but here is the deal:
> >
> > I have a newly installed 6.2 box, and I ran portsnap fetch followed by
> > portsnap extract.. This updated the ports tree just fine..
> >
> > Now, I know that /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade was moved to
> > /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade.  This is visible when you use CVSup to
> > update the ports tree (ie: /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade does not
> > exist).  However with portsnap, the /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
> > directory still exists.  Is there a way to get portsnap to remove ports
> > that were removed and/or moved?
>
> Actually it does that, but only if the files have been created by it. I
> think the manual states that you should 'rm -rf /usr/ports' before using
> portsnap for the first time.

just in case you might be open to the notion of csup, you can do it like this
quick and dirty, no file configurations:

csup -g -L 2 -h cvsup5.us.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile

if you know your preferred cvsup server, you can name that one instead.  and
of course, copying your config somewhere and making your own custom edits is
still the best way, but my example above would get you an immediate result,
with the latest up-to-date tree, sans-editing.

cheers,
--
Jonathan Horne
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org