Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 21:05:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1018566993.77f10e@mired.org>
Cc:        Patrick O'Reilly <bsd@perimeter.co.za>, mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: MBR, mfsroot.flp, handbook, and list fail me! [mwm]

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Mike Meyer wrote:
> They install two different things. fdisk installs /dev/mbr, which should be the standard boot manager. boot0cfg installs /dev/boot0, which is the FreeBSD boot manager. If you're getting a different behavior, either 1) something is broken on your system, or 2) there's a serious bug somewhere.
> > Peter's question (and mine too now :) is how to "demote" it to the standard mbr which just boots without pausing? Is the DOS Floppy route the only answer ?
> No. I've used "fdisk -B da0" to do this on my SCSI-based systems. <mike
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>			http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
> Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more information.

Way-way-wait...  I appreciate the assistance, Mike but one moment you gave
an example that used "fdisk -B -b" and the one above is just "fdisk -B" so
now I am growing unnecessarily confused.  In a nutshell:

* When I run "boot0cfg" alone, it seems to know about too much stuff.
* I don't want a boot-manager at all.  No F1, F2, etc menus please. :)
* I want the "active partition" (wordchoice?) to be /dev/ad0s2a (FreeBSD).
* I still want to be able to mount /dev/ad0s1 (MSDOS/Win98SR1).

Thanks everyone, last post for today I'm pretty sure...

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder