Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 11:11:07 +0800 (CST)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        dkulp@neomorphic.com, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compatibility list

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> writes:
>P.S. People who reply to suggest that the mainline laptop support
>should "simply be improved and/or merged with the PAO code" will be
>laughed at for 5 solid minutes before being cheerfully blown into
>shark chum with sustained, fully-automatic weapons fire.  If there
>were someone available to DO THE WORK involved in actually
>implementing such a suggestion, it would have been done years ago,
>trust me.

The mailing list archives have a sad tale to tell on this matter.

It is not at all difficult to find places where interested parties and
working code have been turned away for failing to meet the gatekeepers'
standards for architectural purity.

It seems to me that a lot of it can be summarized as follows:

  "The CORRECT way to implement PC-CARD support is to use dynamic whiz-bang
   device polyloading.  Instead of wasting your time on your crufty hacks,
   which shall NEVER be allowed to soil the FreeBSD tree, you should work on
   implementing dynamic whiz-bang device polyloading, because I'm too busy
   to do it myself."

I hacked on the 3.1 PC-CARD support enough to get me back to where I was with
2.2-PAO.  It was not rocket science.  It was fairly easy to see where the
existing 3.1 code was fscked, and what needed to be done to fix it.  It
probably would only take a few weeks.  However, I have been infected by the
Bad Attitude.

I'm too busy to do it myself.

	-Michael Robinson