Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 96 16:40:30 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        vvelasco@udgserv.cencar.udg.mx (Victor Hugo Velasco Esparza)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inst_ide.bat found my CD-ROM but install program said not!

> This is a better version of my trouble..
>
> wdc0: at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq14 on ISA
> wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <Conner Peripherals 1275 Mb - CFS1275A>
> wd0: 1219 Mb (2496816 Sectors), 2477 cyls, 16 heads, 635 S/T, 512 B/S
> wdc0 unit 1 (atapi): <HITACHI CDR-7730/0008a> removable, iordy
> wdc0: 689 kb/sec, 128 kb cache, audio play, 128 volume levels, ejectable tray
> wdc0: medium type unknown, unlocked

Hmm.  This looks much less good.

> wdc1 not found at 0x170
>
> Error Message:
>
> No CDROM devices found!. Please check that your system's configuration
> is correct and the CDROM dirve is of a supported type. For more info
> consult hardware guide in the doc Menu.
>
> in the hardware text didn't spoke about Hitachi. And found hardware but
> no working.

It looks like we might really have a problem with the Hitachi drive.
Does anybody else out there know this drive?

> When i install from a DOS partition.
>
> Terminal 1 (alt-f1)
>
>      Failed to laod the ROOT distribution. Please correct this problem
> and
>      try again.
>
> Terminal 2 (alt-f2)
> stan/xxx <-- unix programs
> stan/ls
> gunzip stdin: invalid compressed data -- format violation
> /stand/cpio premature end of file.
> DEBUG: Dummy [default] close called for wd0s1 with fd of 6
> DEBUG: Swtching back to VTY1
>
> thanks for advance!
>
>> From Mexico..

I'm not currently near a machine to try this out.  I'm sending this
back to the questions group in the hope that somebody else will be
better able to help you.

Sorry
Greg