Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:59:31 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: options PNPBIOS

> From: "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
> Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:24:00 -0700
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I compiled a kernel with options PNPBIOS as instructed in LINT to get my
> sound card working.  The machine is a Pentium II Pro.  I have ensured
> that the BIOS is configured for PNP OS but still get these messages:
>
> unknown: <PNP0000> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0f13> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0c01> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0400> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
>
> I've searched Google and found others with this problem but no
> solutions.  Is PNPBIOS documented somewhere?  Where should I start?

These are always present with PNPBIOS as there are several things that
identify themselves via PNP that FreeBSD does not know/care
about. They can almost always be ignored.

As I understand it, PNPBIOS and having BIOS configured for PNP are
very different things and the general advice I have seen is to not
turn on PNP in BIOS.

As I understand it, PNPBIOS causes FreeBSD to query BIOS for device
information on all device. It eliminates the need to specify all sorts
of stuff like iomem, irq, and drq in the kernel for ISA devices. I
generally find it annoying and go ahead and define all of the
parameters in my kernel config.

Of course, it's entirely possible that I don't understand it.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)