Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 01:32:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Lanny Baron <lnb@freebsdsystems.com>
To:        Janis <janisd@optonline.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Cant get a Hostname

Hi,
I forgot to ask, are you on the @home.com network? But one person that answered
you is also correct in checking your /etc/hosts and make sure you have your
network stuff there. For example in my /etc/hosts this box is:

127.0.0.1               localhost.freebsdsystems.com localhost
24.69.168.6             satan.freebsdsystems.com satan
24.69.168.6             satan.freebsdsystems.com.

And in /etc/resolv.conf:

domain  freebsdsystems.com
nameserver      127.0.0.1
nameserver      216.126.88.51
nameserver      216.126.95.33

But have you also checked /etc/rc.conf to make sure your hostname is coming up
on a boot or reboot..:

hostname="satan.freebsdsystems.com"

The above entry must be in your /etc/rc.conf

Hope that helps,

-Lanny Baron
On 25-Apr-00 Janis wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I recently moved to a different city and I moved my local cable modem with
> me. I never had a problem before getting a hostname to come up in my address.
> I have called the internet cable company several times but I get no help.
> They tell me as long as I connect they dont see a problem. But I am having a
> problem, I cant get onto alot of servers with a software I use. Is there
> anyway that I can change this IP to a hostname??? Please help thanks

Lanny Baron,
Master FreeBSD Administrator
Date: 25-Apr-00
Time: 01:32:46

A general leading the State Department resembles  a dragon commanding
ducks.
		-- New York Times, Jan. 20, 1981