Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:28:38 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        jstocker@tzi.de
Cc:        Alexander Kabaev <ak03@gte.com>, Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>, imp@village.org, edhall@weirdnoise.com, kris@obsecurity.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, edhall@screech.weirdnoise.com
Subject:   Re: gcc -O broken in CURRENT

Jan Stocker wrote:
> So now i am a little bit confused... State of the art:
>
> 1) Bug is in -stable and -current
>    --> This means possible patches only in -current arent responsible for
>        this behaviour

Unless they were MFC'ed to -STABLE.  THis is why you generally
should compare -RELEASE versions, not -STABLE versions, since
-STABLE versions are moving targets and -RELEASE versions are
not.

> 2) Bug is in os delivered gcc but not in port gcc.
>    a) port has more or less patches / os gcc has been modified
>       --> Didn't someone told they are the same?
>    b) other options were set at compile time
>       --> Why dont change to the same in the port?
>           Leads it to a broken world?
>           If the only difference is the lost of binary compatibility,
>           i would say, ok... do it now and we'll need to compile
>           or ports...

SOme bugs are related to the FreeBSD use of setjmp/longjmp
to do exception unwinding rather than using the DWARF primitives.

When you change the toolchain, you change the exception unwinding
code when you use the ports version.

You also introduce incompatabilities with the installed libstdc++
library, which uses the setjmp/longjmp exception unwinding, which
will be in conflict with any exception throwing/handling code
compiled with the ports compiler that uses the DWARF2 version.

The tests that show it working with the ports version do not test
anything other than bare-bones operation, without testing code
interoperability eith vendor libraries.

Does that clear things up for you?

-- Terry