Date:      Sat, 3 Apr 2021 12:38:41 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Cc:        Andrew Mitchell <andrew_mitchell_fr@icloud.com>
Subject:   Re: Installing software found in /ports

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 13:11:53 +0200
Andrew Mitchell via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hello,
> There is software in /ports that I can't install on my arm64.aarch64,
> RELEASE-13.0-RC3. I guess that this doesn't stem from the release itself,
> but from incompatibility with the architecture I'm using. Any method to
> make software in /ports conform to my host architecture? I've been trying

	That depends on the port - most ports will compile and run on most
architectures but there are exceptions - for example:

> to install /ports/lang/cmucl. I hope there is a solution.

	A look in the Makefile in ports/lang/cmucl reveals:

# To make available on other archs, has to be cross-compiled (there is a
# script for this, but a configuration file has to be written).
IA32_BINARY_PORT=       yes

	It looks like there is a solution that needs some work, somebody
has to write a configuration file for cross compiling - and understand that
comment in more detail than I do.

	Fancy giving it a go ?

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>