Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 06:30:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Fred Isler <fred_isler@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Crypt, or no Crypt?

Hello....

I've come across a situation on my web site (attempting to run Matthew
Wright's WWWBoard 2.0a message board script) which requires the
crypt() function, but I've learned that, to my knowledge, FreeBSD
doesn't include that function. It's certainly not on "my" web server,
which has the following specifications:

Pentium II 300Mhz, 128mb RAM
FreeBSD 2.1.7.1 and Apache 1.2.4

Am I correct when I say that crypt() is not/will not be incorporated
into my (or any) version of FreeBSD?  Would you have a decent
alternative suggestion?  In this case, it'd be called from a cgi
script, and used to password protect the functionality of the
cgi-built admin page for my messageboard.  I've enjoyed using htpasswd
to "protect" directories on my site, but I'm not sure it applies here...

Any light you can shed on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Fred Isler

==
---
W. Fredric Isler