Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 07:49:24 -0700
From:      Phil Glatz <phil@glatz.com>
To:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache/PHP/Oracle8...

At 02:07 AM 5/15/99 , Chad R. Larson wrote:
>I think that spamming Oracle is a poor way of trying to convince
>them that we deserve their attention.

Yes!  Set an example, we don't like spam.

>Collect a list of folks that want a native Oracle for FreeBSD...

...and are willing to pay for it, which is the only way it would make sense
for Oracle

I'm in the process of moving a large ecommerce site (www.greentree.com)
from Informix to Oracle.  We use Apache, with PHP as glue.  I've been
having a difficult time finding other PHP users running Oracle.  Seems most
people using free/open software are open all the way, with mysql being the
database pf choice (it's been my fave for years).  It makes me wonder how
big a market FreeBSD is for Oracle.  Among other things, Oracle is fairly
difficult to administer (with power comes complexity), meaning expensive,
meaning maybe out of the budget of the typical FreeBSD user.  I personally
run Oracle on mirrored Sun E450's, which is probably more typical of Oracle
installations.  Once you get an Oracle license, hire a DBA, do your
engineering, and budget the cost of your database folks, the difference
between an Intel and Sun box becomes much less of a factor.  And Oracle is
much more of a known entity on Solaris - would you trust a large enterprise
on a brand new database release?  I connect to Oracle with some FreeBSD and
Linux boxes, but most of our equipment is Sun/Solaris.

So the big question is whether it is a big enough market for it to make
sense for Oracle to deal with.  I have a gut feeling only a very small
percentage of FreeBSD installations would benefit from the power and
complexity of Oracle, at least natively.  I just don't see where the
savings would be, compared to the other costs involved.  Now a set of
native FreeBSD libraries and a listener would make sense.  Aside from the
Yahoos of the world, how many large enterprises are running large aps on
FreeBSD?  Oracle is prohibitively expensive for small sites.  (and please
prove me wrong, I love FreeBSD and at least put up with Oracle).

PS - the PHP port to Oracle 8 is still pretty green, we will be using it,
but it will be a while before we can use it efficiently as we'd like to
(issues involving bound variables, etc.).  And you'll probably not be using
Oracle development tools (Designer 2000, etc.) on FreeBSD for some time.