Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 1997 12:53:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RedHat's desktop (fvwm95+TheNextLevel) on 2.2.2?

> At 03:58 AM 7/27/97 -0700, Donald Burr wrote:
> >I've totally gotten used to the desktop as presented in RedHat Linux 4.2
> >that we run at work (something called "TheNextLevel" added on to fvwm95).
> >I'd like to set up this interface on my home machine, which runs FreeBSD.
> >I grabbed the source RPM's from our Redhat 4.2 CD-ROM and tried to install
> >them here, but nothing seems to work.  Has anyone done this (ported the
> >RedHat 4.2 desktop onto FreeBSD) and can give me some hints as to how to
> >do this successfully?  Thanks!
>
> Fvwm95 is not a linux product in case you didn't know. It is not RedHat
> specific. It is free for the net. You can get fvwm95 from the fvwm95 website.
>
> Fvwm95 is really only a slight rehash of fvwm2. You can read the fvwm2 site
> for info as well. I used fvwm so I hope what I say applies to fvwm95 as well.
>
> In my experience you can install it on your FreeBSD machine without a
> hitch. I am guessing that 'The Next Level' that you referred to is just a
> configuration that is established in your '.fvwm95rc' file. After
> installing fvwm95 on your FreeBSD box copy your '.fvwm95rc' file to your
> FreeBSD home directory and pull the trigger.

I don't know what 'TheNextLevel' is, it could be another branch of Fvwm,
or it could already be an integrated part of Fvwm95.  If you just want
Fvwm, Fvwm95, Fvwm2 or Fvwm95-2 (yah, gotta love branches) I believe we
have ports for most of them, so just grab the port and have at it :)

-Brandon

(read: /usr/share/doc/handbook for info about ports)