Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 95 11:58:21 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        agl@mac.glas.apc.org, rcarter@geli.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Case for FreeBSD presentation docs?

> >                               ^^
> > AXP PCI 33 board costs approx 1100 USD with 166 mhz Alpha in the States
>
> And OSF/1 costs over $1500 (or rather, the price difference for OSF/1 is
> over $1500).
>
> Since you're pretty much stuck with NT for your AXP PCI 33 if you want to
> benefit from the price, I class it as a PC rather than a WS. Hopefully
> NetBSD will change that.

My neighbor (well, 5 minutes, anyway) is doing the Linux port to that
box.  You are not limited to NT.

Neither FreeBSD nor NetBSD is poised to port easily, even though
NetBSD has an Alpha port, since neither system has dealt with the
issue of a generic bus attach mechanism.  There was some argument
recently, actually that this type of thing should be avoided -- I
think this is probably a bad idea.

I was recently involved in some NetBSD discussions with, among others,
Charles.  As usual, I wanted a more radical change than people were
willing to buy off on initially.  8-).  NetBSD will be moving in the
right direction, anyway.

I think all it would take is one architecture port to force the issue
for FreeBSD.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---