Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 01:17:26 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@caspian.plutotech.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, anderson@cs.duke.edu, Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Subject:   Re: data corruption when using aic7890

On Sep 13, 11:45am, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
}
} I've tried all the extremes, with the following results:
}
} RD_DFTHRSH_MAX | WR_DFTHRSH_MIN:	corruption on read soon after first pass
} RD_DFTHRSH_MIN | WR_DFTHRSH_MIN:	corruption on read soon after first pass
} RD_DFTHRSH_MAX | WR_DFTHRSH_MAX:	immediate corruption (maybe write was corrupted?)
} RD_DFTHRSH_MIN | WR_DFTHRSH_MAX:	immediate corruption (maybe write was corrupted?)

It looks like this problem is not affected by the setting of RD_DFTHRSH
and is affected by the setting of WR_DFTHRSH.  Too bad neither extreme
setting is error free.  According to Justin's comment, this knob controls
the behavior of writes by the adapter to memory (disk reads).

I wonder if it might be botching PCI MWI transactions.  Is there a way
to get this beast to just use plain PCI Memory Write transactions (with
the obvious performance penalty)?