Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:24:27 -0700
From:      Jim Pirzyk <Jim.Pirzyk@disney.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   sysctl interger type max

In sysctl(8), you can set an integer type, but the max value
an int can be is 2 * N-1 where N is the size of int.  This leads
to a problem when trying to set kern.hostid and the number is
greater that 2GB on an IA32 system.  So my question is should
CTLTYPE_INT be treated as a long or some other larger numeric
number?  Or should we declare some CLTYPE_UINT type?

If there is going to be overflow, should it not be because
of the sysctl being set and not because of the sysctl(8) causing
it?

See PR kern/21132 for an instance.

- JimP

--